Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Dragon and The Brain

“Stan, can I ask you something?”
Stan bookmarked the page he was reading and took off his spectacles, looking up. “Sure, what is it?”
“Why are people so hostile towards me?”
“Well,” Stan paused. “You’re a dragon.”
“Yes, I know, but I’m not evil or anything.”
“I know this. But Walt, you did set many soldiers ablaze in an inferno of pain back in the day.”
A low growl came from somewhere in Walt’s long throat. “You know that all they were going to do was come here, in my castle, take my friend away, and slay me.”
Stan smiled. “Now Walt, I’m not saying that you were wrong. They just didn’t get to know the real you, that’s all.”
“She was the only one that would talk to me…well, besides you. I never really had any friends before you two.”
“Matilda and I are ever so grateful for your friendship, Walt.” Stan placed a hand on Walt’s scaly tail. “If it weren’t for you, Tilda and I would never have met.”
The room shook, and gold objects started to fall as Walt opened his mouth to roar with laughter. “What a day that was!”
Wide-eyed, Stan gripped his jewel-encrusted chair. “Yes…yes it was.”
“Stan, when you came in, demanding I release Matilda, I nearly died of laughter.”
“Yes, thank you,” Stan muttered. “You know I didn’t really want to slay you, but I was under so much pressure from my father. When no one could ‘free’ her from here, he willingly signed me up!”
Walt peered out from one of the high windows. “It was nice to finally meet someone who could join me in a decent discussion of Gorkin’s work.”
“Did you know that he’ll be releasing a new novel out soon?”
Walt turned around so fast, that the book in Stan’s lap fell to the floor. “When?”
“I…I’m not sure. Sometime this year, I think. I have a friend who will be meeting me in a small village to trade.”
“You have to read it to me!”
“But of course,” Stan smiled.
They both turned their heads to the opening door and stared at the figure entering.
“Tilda, my darling!” Stan jumped up and came to her, kissing her cheek, then his baby son’s forehead. “And how is little Joseph doing today?”
Joseph tried grasping his father’s spectacles and they all laughed.
“Curious, as always. Walt, how are you?” Matilda smiled warmly at the dragon.
“Well, thank you, my dear. I think I’ll go fly a little this afternoon, it’s so nice out.”
Matilda’s eyes clouded with worry. “Walt, I don’t know if that’s safe…”
“I’ll be fine. I can’t stay in this treasure room forever. I won’t go far.” Walt turned his magnificent green head to Stan, his amber reptilian eyes glistening from the reflection of the gold. “If you don’t mind…?”
“Oh, sure thing.” Stan went to the lever to lower the drawbridge.
“You all have a nice afternoon,” Walt said as he slowly maneuvered out.
Matilda waved, then turned to Stan. “Dear, what will you be doing today?”
Stan bent over to pick up the book he was reading and placed it on the chair. “What do you say us three head out? Maybe stroll down to the village?”
“I’ll get Joseph’s blanket!” Matilda smiled and dashed off.
Stan nodded, perching his spectacles back onto his nose. It is a lovely day.

2 comments:

Analía said...

I just loved it!! I'll come back :)

Shannon said...

Wow, thank you so much! :D